Toyota 4Runner is a Toyota’s mid-size SUV that was first introduced in 1984 and since then it has been sold all over the world with good reputation. In Japanese domestic market, the Toyota 4Runner was also sold as Toyota Hilux Surf. Originally, the 4Runner was a compact SUV, a step ahead of the Toyota’s pickup truck having a fiberglass shell over the bed. Almost all of the production units of 4Runner are manufactured in Toyota’s Tahara facility in Tahara, Aichi, Japan as well as at Hino Motors’ Hamura plant in Japan and Brazil. Kluger/Highlander is considered as its mid-size crossover SUV counterpart.
Model Year Changes (2002-2009)
- Toyota introduced an optional Appearance Package for the SR5 model in 2003 that featured color-keyed cladding, bumpers and liftgate trim. The Appearance Package together with the formerly optional features including fog lamps, running boards and 16-inch aluminum wheels became standard on SR5 model in April, 2003. Black running boards and color-keyed trim were introduced to the Sport Edition.
- As for 2004, a Tire Pressure Monitoring System was introduced as standard. On the SR5 models and Limited modes, the third-row seat became optional.
- In 2005 models, some improvements had been made for an optional V8 engine and the 5-speed automatic transmission became standard on V6 models. The 2005 models also received some mild exterior modification such as color-keyed bumper trim on the SR5 model and Limited, a chrome grille (on SR5); a redesigned rear spoiler; and a black roof-rack and running boards on the Limited. All trim levels were entertained with a Salsa Red Pearl scheme.
- The 2006 year model referred to as the fourth-generation mid-cycle refresh that receives a number of different modifications such as revised front and rear bumpers; a reworked grille; new projector-beam headlamps and LED tail lamps; additional chrome trim on the SR5 model; and a smoked-chrome grille with tubular roof-rack and step bars on the Sport Edition.
- Year 2007 received a new gray-colored variant, the Shadow Mica for 4Runner. The rest specs remained the same for the year.
- The 2008 year model of 4Runner received standard rollover sensing side curtain as well as front row side torso airbags; a switch introduced to disable Vehicle Stability Control; a redesigned front grille; enhanced Tire Pressure Monitoring System; enhanced seatbelt warning system as well as brake control system.
- The 2009 year model didn’t receive much modification, perhaps for the fact that designed was to be cancelled out to create an opportunity for a completely redesigned 4Runner. The Sport Edition had the Urban Runner Package available. A Trial Edition Package was available that include an electronic locking rear differential, Advanced Traction Control (A-TRAC) and Bilstein dampers.
- In the later models, a DVD Rear Seat Entertainment System (RSES) is used together with a 9-inch LCD screen as well as two wireless headphones.
- Presently, 4Runner features A-TRAC as well as a new Trial Edition that features Toyota’s Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) and Crawl Control.