The first mid-size luxury sports sedan/executive car, the Lexus GS appeared on the scenes in 1993. The idea behind designing this vehicle was to cover up the gap between ES and LS series as well as to design a sedan to give mid-size luxury class a competitor. Up till now, the Lexus GS has seen three generations. In 1993, the first generation of Lexus GS was launched in the United States, Europe and some selected markets of Asia. In 1998, the second generation of the Lexus GS was introduced with completely new platform which was powered by V8 engine introduced for the first time in the markets other than Japan. The third generation which is still persisting at the time was launched in 2006 and offered in V6, V8 and hybrid versions called the GS 450h performance hybrid. The third generation GS also features a Lexus’ own L-finesse styling.
The Lexus GS was sold in Japan under the nameplate Toyota Aristo. It was first offered in 1991and remained in production up to the time when Lexus marquee as well as the third generation GS was appeared in 2005. Both Aristo and Lexus GS has a lot in common in terms of exterior and interior styling and design, but however, they differed a lot in terms of engine, transmission and certain other equipment packages. With the appearance of the Lexus marque and the third generation GS in Japan, the name tag ‘Aristo’ was dropped.
- In Initial Quality Survey for the year 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005, J.D. Power and Associates ranked the GS series as the best mid-size luxury sedan. They also named the first generation GS in the Top Ten list of Initial Quality Survey for the year 1994.
- For the year 2005, AAA ranked the third generation GS 300 as the best car in its class.
- In luxury class 2005, Customer Reports named the Lexus GS as the best ranked vehicle.
- The technical editors of Auto Motor Und Sport publications awarded the GS 450h’s Luxury hybrid Drive with the 2007 annual Paul Pietsch Prize for Advanced Technology.
- The International Forum Design group in Hannover, Germany declared the GS 450h winner of IF product design award for the year 2007.
- The GS 450h won the 2007 Auto 1 award for best sedan by German automotive magazine, Auto Build.
- For the year 2003-2-004, the GS was declared the best luxury sedan by Smart Money magazine. The magazine also awarded the GS Best New Car Value award for the year 2005.
- J.D. Power and Associates declared the GS series as the most appealing mid-size luxury sedan for the year 2001.
- GS series also received the Best to Hold Value Award for the year 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001 by Kelley Blue Book.
- In 1998, Motor Trend named the second generation GS as Import Car of the Year.
- The second generation GS also included in the Top Ten Best list of Car and Driver for the year 1998, 1999 and 2000.